We live in increasingly changing times that call for dynamism, adaptability, and responsiveness.
Amidst the waves of change, our purpose and our culture at ABS-CBN serve as anchors that keep us firm and steady. In the words of our Founder, Mr. Eugenio “Geny” Lopez, Jr., “Whatever we do and wherever we go, we shall always be faithful to our commitment of being in the service of the Filipino.”
True to this commitment, we, at ABS-CBN continuously develop and evolve to address the changing times and the Filipinos’ present and emerging needs.
This living document, that captures ABS-CBN’s identity, history, and continuing journey, shall be evolving with us as we partner with each Filipino in his own life journey.
ABS-CBN exists to be in the service of the Filipino worldwide.
This is both our mission and our vision.
It is our reason for existence. And ABS-CBN, for all the years to come, will continue to work towards the vision of serving the Filipino.
As our Chairman, Mr. Gabby Lopez, has said, “For as long as there is a Filipino to be served, for as long as there is a Filipino in need, ABS-CBN will be there. That is what truly gives meaning to all we do.”
Without a doubt, each Kapamilya in ABS-CBN believes and lives by this service ethos. No matter what we do and where we are in the organization, whether we are on-camera, behind the scenes, in corporate functions, or in emerging businesses, we are all committed to and united by this burning desire to serve the Filipinos.
What makes an organization unique is its culture. The same is true for us in ABS-CBN. Our core values, reflected in our culture and the way we serve the Filipino, set us apart from other organizations.
For us in ABS-CBN, our core values serve as our anchor and guidepost. They keep us grounded and remind us of the things that matter more than ratings, revenues, and profits. They guide us in our decision-making and direct our choices and actions.
Our core values, with clearly articulated behavioral indicators, define what the ABS-CBN culture is and what kind of people would thrive in our organization.
ABS-CBN CEO & President, Ms. Charo Santos-Concio, has beautifully encapsulated the essence of our culture and our people when she said, “ABS seeks that person whose core mission in life is to be of service to his countrymen. ABS seeks that person that does not need the limelight but seeks only the reward of giving to his Filipino brethren and can put what is good for the customer, what is good for the company, ahead of himself. ABS seeks that person who will do what it takes to give his fellow Filipino the wonderful world he needs and in so doing, discovers his own wonderful world – a world where he sees the greater meaning in all the things he does.”
Indeed, in ABS-CBN, we live to serve. And we serve best when we embody our core values of Excellence, Teamwork, Teaching & Learning, Honesty & Integrity, Meritocracy, and Service Orientation.
Judgment and Drive for Results
• Using best judgment to balance speed, quality, and cost to attain best returns
• Using best judgment to balance the need to deliver short-term business results with what is best for the organization in the long term
• Going beyond the boundaries of my role/unit to ensure results
• Gathering and using available data/information to make decisions and resolve problems; moving on despite the absence of complete data/information
• Exploring new ways and challenging old ways, including past successes, to achieve breakthroughs and continuous improvement
• In a constantly changing competitive environment, taking action based on an assessment that opportunities and rewards are worth the risks and ensuring everything possible is done to mitigate those risks
Company Interest and Transparency
• Providing the right information at the right time to the right people
• Taking personal accountability for making my unit / my team a high-powered and high performing team
• Putting the good of the Company/team before my personal interests
• Taking accountability for my role, output, and decisions
• Surfacing issues directly with concerned parties so that these may be resolved constructively, and if resolution is not attained, jointly escalating the issue
• Accepting my accountability for causing conflicts, if any
TEACHING & LEARNING:
• Training someone to become better than myself at my role
• Taking accountability for my continuous learning by defining my development areas and taking deliberate action to fill my skill gaps
• Analyzing failures and deriving lessons from them
• Providing you continuous training and learning experiences so that you constantly become better than you are at your role today and are equipped for larger roles at the appropriate time (caring for our people)
HONESTY & INTEGRITY:
• Delivering on commitments; my word equals my actions
• Speak out, speak true
• Providing you an environment where you can speak out and be heard (caring for our people)
• Granting commensurate rewards at the right time for good performance (caring for our people)
• Expecting rewards that I have earned through performance rather than because of entitlement
• Taking quick and appropriate action on failure
- When a person does not do what he knows he should do (failure of omission)
- When a person repeats mistakes because he does not learn from them (failure of repetition)
- When a person willfully violates Company policies and what he knows is right (willful violation)
• Treating Filipinos, our stakeholders—our customers, our people (my unit/team), our shareholders, and our community—as our Kapamilya
- Putting our customers’ interests above all because they are our primary reason for existence
• Embracing joyfulness as our basic attitude towards serving our Kapamilya
- This is reflected in our efforts, outputs, and decisions that affect them
• Creating and nurturing long-term personal connections and authentic relationships with our Kapamilya that are built on trust
We earn our Kapamilya’s trust by:
- Knowing and understanding their needs and wants intimately
- Understanding their expectations and ensuring that we give the best that we can to satisfy and delight them
- Creating and providing various offerings that empower the human experience and enrich their lives
- Taking the initiative to proactively develop ourselves in the work that we do to inspire and serve them well
• Being accountable to the Kapamilya we serve, our profession, peers, and ourselves
Everyday, in our work, in whatever we do, we look to these core values for guidance and we are reminded that the reason we work so passionately in ABS-CBN is because we are here to serve the Filipino.
On various occasions, our top leaders have conveyed what serving the Filipino and living our core values mean for us:
“We serve, even when confronted with danger. From Baghdad to Mendiola, our news team is on the front lines, because millions rely on us for information to help them make sense of their world.”
- Mr. Eugenio Lopez III, Chairman, ABS-CBN Corporation
2005 Pinoy Media Student Congress
“We are called to ABS because we want to bring out the best in the Filipino, and in doing so, become the best Filipino we can be.”
- Ms. Charo Santos-Concio, CEO & President, ABS-CBN Corporation
2010 Kapamilya Service Awards
OUR SERVICE COMMITMENTSDriven by our passion for service and guided by our uncompromising core values, we serve the Filipino by helping bring out the best in each of them. At ABS-CBN, we are committed to provide authentic and unparalleled service to our stakeholders—our customers, our people, our shareholders, and our community. At ABS-CBN, serving our Customers means…
1. We know them best and we anticipate their needs.
2. We create and curate the most relevant and trailblazing content as we partner with them in their journey to the discovery of self-worth and dignity.
3. Our own distribution platforms and those obtained through partnerships ensure superior customer experience. In every partnership, we seek a mutually beneficial relationship. Partnerships also enable us to know more about the customer and ourselves in order to serve them better.
4. We provide channels of communication and connection that are superior and affordable.
5. We seize every opportunity to provide other services that we find relevant to the emerging needs of the Filipino.
At ABS-CBN, serving our People means…
1. We are an employer of choice.
2. We have a culture that inspires and rewards creativity, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, and shared responsibility.
3. We are passionate advocates of our products and services.
At ABS-CBN, serving our Shareholders means we deliver increasing value to them.
At ABS-CBN, serving our Community means…
1. We help build the nation by promoting Filipino Pride and by partnering with the community in uplifting endeavors.
2. We are always first to help in times of crisis as we also harness the Filipinos’ sense of heroism and generosity.
Time and again, our Chairman reminds us what ABS-CBN truly means:
“ABS-CBN is not a registered corporate name; it is not our buildings or our studios, cameras, programs, titles, or awards –it is none of these. ABS-CBN is the living institution composed of you, me, and every employee, regular or IJM, that has dedicated himself or herself to being in the service of the Filipino. We are a Filipino organization. This is why we have been given the gift of being able to build one-on-one relationships with each of our Filipino brethren. This is our gift. This is our mission.”
This is our calling in ABS-CBN. This is our commitment to each and every Filipino wherever they may be.